New Insulation!

23 June 2009

Phase II of Energy Efficiency Program.

We got new insulation blown into our attic for the whopping big price of $68.74.

Yep.  That’s the amount I wrote the check for today.  And it would have been completely free if it hadn’t been for the six inches of existing insulation laid over the vaulted ceiling of our living room.  The rest of the house only had a pathetic two inches or so of insulation.  And that qualified us nicely for the energy efficiency program.

I spent my day working in my workshop, despite the early afternoon segment of time when the door had to be open!  Whew!  I guess it’s good practice for my summertime living arrangements!

The insulation truck and two workers arrived around 11:30—about an hour early.  They backed the truck up into the driveway, and proceeded to unload what looked like a giant vaccuum hose.  And, in a way, I guess that’s what it was.  They dragged it in through the front of the garage, and up the attic steps.  Once they got it all set up, it seemed to suck insulation stuff out of a hopper in the back of the truck, pull it through that hose, and then, somehow on the other end, blow it out into our attic! 

I ventured up the attic steps at one point, but I couldn’t see a thing.  So, I just raised the flash, pointed my camera into the darkness and clicked!  This is the shot I got.  It doesn’t look like much, but, I can see the difference between the old pinkish insulation, and the new greyish stuff . 

I’m not sure whether or not to believe the $800 approximate quote I got from the guy on the phone the other day, regarding what this would have cost us without this efficiency program.  But, even if that’s double  or triple the actual going rate, I figure $68.74 was a deal!

No Frills for a quick dinner and some trivia (at which we did not do very well tonight) with Brett and Jill.   Oh well.  Better luck next time.

~MB